This blog is dedicated to documenting my journey, as I relentlessly chase Jesus to better see who He is and how He's moving around me. I want everything to be about Him, not about me, kind of acting as the paper lantern to His glorious light. Such a challenge to me. But now that I've proclaimed it to the world of bloggers, I must follow through!

Come along and we can walk together!

This will also feature a spread of other topics, like books, music, movies, social justice issues, current events, etc. Interesting? Hope so.

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Joy

Hello, world of bloggers.

Lately, I've been a combination of exhausted and lazy, due to working and then other crazy stuff going on after work. I now understand what old people mean when they say they're "too tired" to go places after 5 pm or why they go to bed at like 9:30 pm. This is why I've been slackin'.

Anyway, enough whining! Let's talk about JOY!

"Those who look to him for help will be radiant with joy; no shadow of shame will darken their faces."
--Psalm 34:5

Cool, huh? I want to be radiant with joy! I love how God promises to bring joy if we can just look up from the insignificant bustle of our lives to see our Creator at work. (Therein, however, lies the problem.)

Joy, in this case, isn't a constant, inexplicable happiness that makes you want to pirouette down the street with a marching band like the guy in (500) Days of Summer when he first sleeps with Summer. It's just the knowledge that God is in control and that He is where our value/happiness is based. It's knowing that He is supreme and He can use all things for good in our lives ("And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose."-- Romans 8:28) When I keep those things in mind, it's a lot harder to bring me down because I have my eyes fixed somewhere higher, something lasting and eternal that will always, always, always satisfy, even when life isn't all sunshine and daisies.

"Delight yourself also in the LORD, and He shall give you the desires of your heart." --Psalm 37:4

Taking delight in Jesus? Love that idea, too. Clearly, we're supposed to find happiness in worshipping God! It's not supposed to be a chore, as it can become, but a fulfilling relationship. Nice.

1 comment:

  1. i love this, so true, we have to choose joy
    daily
    and i like to think i do
    that is my signature anyway
    when i sign things EMails and such

    ReplyDelete