This blog is dedicated to documenting my journey, as I relentlessly chase Jesus to better see who He is and how He's moving around me. I want everything to be about Him, not about me, kind of acting as the paper lantern to His glorious light. Such a challenge to me. But now that I've proclaimed it to the world of bloggers, I must follow through!

Come along and we can walk together!

This will also feature a spread of other topics, like books, music, movies, social justice issues, current events, etc. Interesting? Hope so.

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Puppy Parallels


Meet Charlie Boston Asker, my adorable, nine-week-old Golden Retriever puppy. Isn't he presh?

So he's the sweetest little
guy on the whole planet. He does all the cute puppy things, like pouncing on tennis balls, tearing around the house like his tail's on fire, and chewing my flip flops to ribbons. (Maybe not so cute.)

In addition to all these attractions, he does some less than desirable things. I.e. I take him outside at 5 am to do his "business" and he plays in the dirt instead of getting things done. Then, as soon as I take him inside, he empties his bladder on the floor. Again, not cute, but typical puppy. He can also be willful and stubborn, and resists all my attempts to bring him inside. He sometimes fights against being picked up and will struggle to get out of my arms.

So thought for the day: how often am I like that with God? When am I willful and headstrong, fighting to escape His loving arms?

Even though I know what's best for this little puppy and am trying to train him so he can have time out of his crate to play instead of having to be locked away, he rebels. How am I resisting God's "training" so I can do what I want, which is ultimately harmful to me?

2 comments: